Friday, January 23, 2009

Xenozoic Tales Playset


I've been lucky enough, over the last several years, to work on several projects with an artist, whose work I really admire. Mark Schultz brings such a quality and craftsmanship to everything he does. By working with Mark, it challenges me to  raise the level of my game. Using sports as an analogy, the best way to get better at your position, is by playing against people who are better than you. I like to think that Mark makes me better at what I do. 

Each year for the San Diego Comic-con, with Mark's blessing, I've tried to create special limited edition products related to Xenozoic Tales. Each item is created in extremely small quantities, and is signed and numbered by Mark. Two years ago we presented this Xenozoic Tales Playset.
Marx toy company created fabulous playsets from the 1950's through the 1960's. They usually contained hundreds of figures, along with buildings, vehicles, terrain, and creatures. They were quite likely to be the highlight of any Christmas during that period of time. Even though, Xenozoic Tales didn't exist then, it seemed like if it did, it would have been a good prospect to become a playset. So instead of a Marx Playset, we created a Mark's Playset. This was a tribute to that era, and an attempt to recapture the excitement of Christmas morning. This was fun to try to approximate the feel and style of the packaging of those Marx Playsets. This was designed in an edition of ten, it came with 4 people, 4 dinosaurs, a palm tree, and a rocky wall. I know, that I can speak for myself when I say, that this has given me hours and hours of quality play time.

2 comments:

  1. do you have a 'copy' of the wooden box you designed for mark?...THAT was a cool piece and should be displayed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Randy! I believe I purchased one of your Xenozoic Tales creations on eBay. Would love to hear more about it - I'm preparing a blog post once it's received. Great idea, and lots of fun. Please email me @ paintingmonk@gmail.com and I can give you the details of my purchase. Also want to verify that Mark's signature is authentic - I'm pretty sure the signature here isn't Marks! Thank you and great work. :)

    ReplyDelete